Starlight Children’s Foundation creates moments of joy and comfort for hospitalized children and their families. For 35 years, Starlight’s programs have positively impacted more than 60 million critically, chronically and terminally ill and hospitalized children in the US, Canada, Australia and the UK. This is a period of exciting growth for Starlight and we’re looking for smart, driven, passionate professionals that will help advance our mission.
As a member of Communications & PR team at Starlight, the Events Director will organize, manage and oversee dozens of events a year, both big and small, in hospitals, with corporate partners and in regional markets across the US, including major gala-style events in Los Angeles.
These events will bring together children, families, hospitals, donors and celebrities to celebrate and raise awareness for Starlight programs, while providing fun experiences for kids and families. The Events Director will ensure that all Starlight events are successful and cost-effective, paying attention to budget and time constraints with three primary goals: 1.) raising awareness for Starlight, 2.) cultivating strong relationships with Starlight partners and donors, and 3.) providing an exceptional experience for kids and families.
This person is, above all, a highly skilled, experienced and communicative project manager who understands how to create and host a successful event, as well as having a firm grasp of marketing and promotion techniques. We are looking for enthusiastic candidates with fresh ideas and the organizational skills required so that nothing about an event is left to chance.
- Plan and execute approximately 40+ events inside hospitals and other locations from start to finish per specific, sometimes varying needs, requirements, stakeholders, target audiences and objectives.
- Coordinate all operations for three primary types of events.
- Lead event planning and execution among key stakeholders, including both internal departments and outside partners, agencies and vendors.
- Engage, hire and supervise all event volunteers and contractors.
- Coordinate promotional activities and all marketing/fundraising collateral for the event.
- Prepare and manage event budgets.
- Ensure event is completed smoothly and resolve any problems that might occur.
- Analyze each event’s success, impact and prepare reports.
- BS/BA in PR, marketing, hospitality management or related field is preferred
- 8-10 years’ experience as an event coordinator or manager
- Highly skilled in project management
- Knowledge of KPIs and marketing techniques for event management
- Computer savvy; proficient in MS Office
- Outstanding communication and negotiation ability
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Customer-service orientation
- Team player with proven leadership skills
- Work in small groups and across teams in a fast-paced environment
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously of varying size and scope
- Responsible for managing commitments and workload on a daily basis
- Meet deadlines
- Communicate any roadblocks, issues or changes of schedule to team leadership
- Other related duties as needed to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
- Spanish-language skills a plus
- Ability to travel up to 25%, and occasional weekend work required
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may be asked to perform other related duties as needed to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
ONLINE OR EMAIL SUBMISSIONS ONLY. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
To be considered, you must submit through the form below or apply via email to [email protected] with “YOUR NAME: EVENTS DIRECTOR” in the subject line, and please include a cover letter, resume and salary requirements.
Starlight is an award-wining 501(c)(3) nonprofit with a top four-star rating by Charity Navigator for its excellent fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.
Starlight is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applicants from all sectors of the community.