Starlight Children’s Foundation creates moments of joy and comfort for hospitalized children and their families. For 35 years, Starlight’s groundbreaking programs have positively impacted more than 60 million critically, chronically and terminally ill and hospitalized children in the US, Canada, Australia and the UK. This is a period of exciting growth for Starlight and we’re looking for smart, driven, passionate professionals that will help advance our mission.
As the Operations Assistant, you will work to assist the Partnerships & Operations Manager in managing the day-to-day functions of the office and overall effectiveness of the organization. The primary responsibility of this position is to provide support to the organization’s general administrative needs which include assisting the CEO and leadership team. This position is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in a fast-paced, high impact non-profit setting and to build skills in office management, support and service. This role is integral in driving Starlight’s mission to bring moments of joy to hospitalized kids forward.
The job duties of the Operations Assistant include, but are not limited to, the following:
- General Admin – To ensure the team at Starlight is making the greatest impact and bringing joy and smiles to patients and families, the Operations Assistant will:
- Greet and welcome guests and assist in organizing, arranging and coordinating in-office meetings
- Manages parking requirements, including ordering & tracking parking cards and validations.
- Serves as liaison with building management to ensure proper suite maintenance and compliance
- Answer, screen and forward incoming calls and general email correspondence
- Manage supplies ordering and inventory by checking stock to determine inventory levels, anticipates needed supplies, place orders for supplies and verifies receipt of same.
- Ensures operation of office equipment by completing preventative maintenance requirements; placing repair calls, maintain equipment supplies and evaluating new equipment as required.
- Coordinate the opening of income mail and distribute outgoing mail and deliveries, including priority and in-office program distribution
- Assist in onboarding new staff members, interns and volunteers through training on administrative procedures.
- Leadership Support – Our executive leaders define teamwork. By providing support to the leadership team, including the CEO, through various tasks and responsibilities, the Operations Assistant will receive the unique opportunity to gain experience within all facets of a growing non-profit organization.
- Culture Ambassador – Bringing moments of joy to hospitalized kids and their families aren’t always easy. In this position the Operations Assistant will champion and contribute to a dynamic, fun and interesting place to work by conceiving new and creative ideas that engage, surprise and delight team members, while encouraging them to perform at their best. Together with the Partnerships and Operations Manager, this role will design and maintain various employee engagement initiatives such as community involvement, appreciation events, team building activities, peer-to-peer recognition, training & development programs, and diversity & inclusion.
- Organizational focus: displays an outstanding work ethic, motivation, and brings a results-oriented, innovative style and attitude, while remaining focused on excellent project management – looking for a team player with a positive, proactive, welcoming style, a “can do” spirit
- Maintains flexibility: brings careful thought and attention to time-sensitive needs, prioritizes projects and communications with team members accurately and can move quickly when needs and projects are subject to much revision
- Strong communication skills: demonstrates a proven ability to leverage resources and execute on verbal and written communications with strong interpersonal and listening skills
- College degree plus one to two years of experience in a non-profit or related environment
- Deep commitment to Starlight’s mission to bring joy and comfort to hospitalized children and families
- Computer savvy; proficient in MS Office
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may be asked to perform other related duties as needed to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
ONLINE OR EMAIL SUBMISSIONS ONLY. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
To be considered, you must submit through the form below or apply via email to [email protected] with “YOUR NAME: OPERATIONS ASSISTANT” in the subject line, and please include a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be considered.
Starlight is an award-winning 501(c)(3) nonprofit with a top four-star rating by Charity Navigator for its excellent fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.
Starlight is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applicants from all sectors of the community.